Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2002.Well-known Tasmanian transport pioneer, Llewellyn George Holloway, known to all in the district as Llew, started the trucking business of L.G. Holloway Transport in 1937 with one truck carting pulp wood to the A.P.P.M. (pulp mill) in Burnie, Tasmania.
He was one of the first transport operators to do so and continued this type of work for another 11 years gaining his reputation as a reliable and dedicated truck operator from then.
As the business expanded in the following years Llew expanded to include general haulage including the cartage of logs, general freight, milk, beer and heavy haulage. As part of his heavy haulage operation Llew eventually branched into dam making and road construction and that business was just as successful as the other. Llew operated a passenger and freight run betweenTewkesbury and Burnie for 34 years. Llew's offices, storage sheds,quarries and crushing plants were set up at Roundhill, Burnie. The business employs 15 people.
There has been a variety of trucks in the fleet over the years including International, Mercedes, M.A.N., Scania, Ford and Mack. And, although he purchased two new Macks in 2001, his favourite truck is still the Mercedes. Llew retired in 2007 but retained the business. He finally sold it in 2008 when he was 93 years of age. Llew is a fine example of the type of men in our pioneering past who have built Australian communities through making trucking their life's work.
Llew passed away in 2010.