BUNT, Albert

03_bunt_albert 03_bunt_albert_2

Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2003.

In 1937, at the age of 20, young Albert (Bill) bought a red Ford side-valve V8 truck with a 24 foot trailer to haul for Tooheys Brewery delivering beer in wooden kegs to Eugowra.  The roads were dirt, pitted with holes and severely corrugated.  Loads were held firmly in place by pignets which completely covered the goods.

By 1942, he was driving an N.R. Mack carrying cement from Portland, Kandos,Charbon and Berrima to Sydney.  All loading and unloading was done manually by the driver of the truck in those days.  "You had to be fit."

For the next ten years he worked hauling timber, from Gwabegar, Pilliga and Wauchope, bananas from Coffs Harbour and potatoes from Victoria for delivery all over Sydney.  In 1954 he bought a Leyland Super Beaver diesel with a 34 foot trailer and carried homesteads, shearing sheds and hauled earthmoving equipment to Lightning Ridge, copper ore to Port Kembla, wine from South Australia and peanuts from Kingaroy.  In 1968 the Leyland was replaced by a Dodge.  Bill had the petrol motor removed and installed a 471 G.M. diesel engine, T41 gearbox and a 2-speed 90 diff and fitted a double-deck car carrier.  The hierarchy of International Harvester asked if they could take a look at his truck.

It was only a matter of months and the new C160 International with a 6-cylinder Cummins diesel was released with the same modifications.  In 1975 the Dodge was replaced by a 1418 Mercedes.  It had the longest allowable trailer at the time, a 36 foot double-deck car carrier, which was used to transport Kelloggs food products to Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth returning with cars to all states (usually 4 Rolls, or 6 other makes of cars).  Severe arthritis made it necessary for Bill to retire in 1984 after 46 years on the road.

He is remembered as one of Australia's true gentlemen of the road.