Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2003.Doug began his career in 1951 as a motor mechanic wih the Australian Army's Royal Australian Electrical & Mechanical Engineers including stints in Korea and Japan. He launched into transport in 1958 with two trucks and a huge debt. The following year he started McIntyre Freight Lines, which over 12 years grew to 75 pieces of equipment and 50 employees.
He pioneered the first all-road weekly general freight service from Brisbane to Darwin in 1965 gradually replacing the existing road-rail Co-Ord Service and cutting delivery time from two weeks to four and half days.
This service grew dramatically and was moving in excess of 400 tons of general freight each week. He was responsible for the introduction of roadtrains to haul general freight on this route. Whilst expanding this service, in 1967 at Winnellie, he built a much needed transport terminal for general freight distribution. Known as the Darwin Transport Terminal, it provided independent and secure premises, fuel, a motel and cafe for Mcintyre Freight Line drivers and others.
With the creation of Container Transfer Equipment Sales (Aust) in 1980, Doug established a national sales and service organisation to introduce and establish a new concept for handling and carrying shipping containers for the Australian transport industry and, end-users of containers. The sidelifters were manufactured and imported from the Steelbro N.Z. Ltd. plant in Christchurch and have made a major impact on transport efficiency and work practices and the reduction of damage to goods especially when hauled over long distances. Doug has been a quiet ambassador for the road transport industry. As a driver and entrepreneur, and under extremely challenging conditions, he opened up the Territory to fast, efficient road-transport systems. His introduction of Steelbro sidelifter container trailers revolutionised the handling of containers across the nation.