Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 20051920 - 2000
Norman Murray Kilpatrick was born in Swan Hill, Victoria. Moving to Albert Park in 1930 with the rest of his family, he finished his schooling at South Melbourne Technical School but was undecided what to do.
Murray worked for a short time in Whiteman Street, South Melbourne before deciding to go into business for himself as general carrier. He never looked back.
From his father’s “Strand Garage” in South Melbourne, he started carting cement, and drums from Shell in an LHD ex-army ‘NR’ Mack He hauled to Sydney from Geelong. The fleet increased by adding a Maple Leaf with a single axle trailer, and two Albion trucks, both with bogie aluminum tanks on sub-frames. Murray soon started to specialize in bulk liquids, forming Liquid Cartage and obtained contracts from several petrol companies. The business began to flourish and in 1958, he imported the first gas tank from America.
A floating crane had to be used as the wharf cranes were unable to lift it off the ship. An aircraft was purchased in the early 1960s to ensure that the gas tanks were fully utilized. The aircraft would ferry relief drivers, as well as spare parts. At this time, Liquid Cartage built their own tankers, using re-powered Thorneycroft trucks. They later imported Guy trucks and powered them with GMs imported from America, and used 12-speed ZF gearboxes. Liquid Cartage moved from Beaconsfield Parade, South Melbourne to Dynon Road, Footscray then later to New Footscray Road, and finally to McDonald Road, Brooklyn.
They also added a depot in Camellia, Sydney. Murray’s fleet of trucks went from one to nearly 90 in almost 20 years. Liquid Cartage was finally sold to Brambles Industries in 1963. Murray enjoyed working actively in the family businesses right up until his death on the 11th of May, 2000.