Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2005Vin McCormack commenced his career in road transport in 1959, in the small country town of Poochera on the west coast of SA. He ran a large fuel agency and carted fuel from Port Lincoln to all parts of the Eyre Peninsula, as well as serving the transport needs of a wide farming community, carting livestock and wool to Adelaide and general farm machinery, on the return.
In the early 1960s he was a founding member and director of a company called Western Hauliers, an association of carriers who serviced the Eyre Peninsula.
It was during this time that Vin became involved with a number of companies who were to build the Eyre Highway from Port Augusta to the SA/WA border. This work ranged from transporting machinery, crushing plant and supplies to the various construction camps. As the business grew, he formed the company McCormack Freightlines Pty Ltd and branched into interstate work.
During the earlier years, Vin operated in a variety of trucks including Commer, International, Dodge, Mack and Leyland. In 1970 he commenced an association with CMV Voltrucks which has seen him purchase a predominantly Volvo fleet.
In 1978, he moved to Adelaide and set up a depot in Cavan where the business worked until 1998. Vin’s son Andrew joined the business in 1990 and in 1999 McCormack Freightlines relocated to their modern transport complex at Greenfields. They currently store and transport supplies for mining companies in the north of SA and other states as well as making regular weekly trips to Sydney and Brisbane. January 2010 saw Vin complete 50 years of service to the transport industry.