Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2007.
Des Heffernan started driving in early 1954 carrying butter to the railhead at Nimmitabel and bringing back mainly general freight to Sydney, fresh beans to Melbourne markets and, locally, coal from the Tathra Wharf to Bega for the gas works there.
In 1956, Des purchased a new Commer Knocker tray-truck (at present being restored) with which he carted sawn timber from Bermagui to Sydney with general freight on the return.
In 1959, he bought Vin's,his brother, International R182 semi-trailer together with his fuel and general contracts. Over the next few years, Des upgraded his trucks to Transtar followed by Kenworths, a brand he has stayed with ever since saying that he is happy with both the price and the performance of these trucks.
Gradually the business grew till 1970 when he started a company with his brother Vin, in South Pambula, quarrying and operating a Ready-Mix plant with nine agitators and four tippers. Des carted all the cement for the plant, bagged at first, then bulk in two tanks pulled by Kenworth prime-movers. Ready to take things a little easier Des and Vin decided to sell the Ready-Mix plant and quarry to BMG (Boral) in 1988. Des still carts the bulk cement to this and other plants in the area averaging approximately 250 loads per year. He says this keeps him busy enough these days.
He also has one grain tipper-trailer with which he has carted bulk grain since the mid 1960s to feed cattle in the Bega area. Every three years, Des upgrades his trucks to keep up with competition and is still active in the business, driving as required.
Des has also been involved with light aircraft, owning two Victa planes, a two seat Airtourer and a four seat Aircruiser, the only one in the world, which he still enjoys flying to this day.
Des and Vin enjoy local and overseas travel to all parts of the world looking at machinery and new concepts to introduce to industry.