Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2010.
PR Malone Transport was started by Pat Malone after WWII with a 1946 Ford and round fronted trailer. Pat had been a mechanic in the Army and put his new found skills to good use.
The first new truck was a 48 Ford semi, which he’s purchased at the Warrnambool Agricultural Show. In its hay day the PR Malone Transport Business grew to include 25 trucks including a full range of Ford models and Internationals as well as two ex-Army Blitz's, one converted to a crane and the other a forklift.
The also had a rare GMC Detroit and a V8 Perkins powered Diamond T as well as several Albions, Leylands, Volvos, MANs, Bedfords and Benz’s. Ultimately, there were five brothers involved, Pat(PR), Tom, John, Jim and Roger and all worked hard at building the company. Most of the trucks were painted green; they all had red wheels and front bumpers, with “Another Malones” painted on the front bumper.
Local freight was a mix of general – milk tanker farm pick ups for Nestles Dennington, potatoes, onions and timber. The local freight area covered from the South Australian border to Maryborough and Colac in Victoria. Bush sawn iron bark posts were carted from Bealiba district back to Warrnambool for local farms and ricks from Ararat which were still hot and loaded by hand. There was also stone from Mt Gambier, seed potatoes from the Otway Beach Forest area for local Warrnambool district growers and timber from Portland and Heywood sawmills. Interstate freight included coffee and milo from Nestles in Warrnambool to Adelaide and car bodies, Ford Consul and Zephyrs from Adelaide. PRs back loaded steel from Whyalla and cement from Adelaide and later tomatoes from Adelaide to the Melbourne markets.