Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2010.
Through the vision of Mount Gambier’s Aubrey Shelton and Jack Kain, Kain & Shelton Transport was formed in 1945.
The partnership lasted eighteen months but the continuity of the company name Kain & Shelton (now K & S Freighters) was maintained and the business flourished in size and profile under Aub’s vision and astute ownership. Kain & Shelton’s first contract was to supply firewood for the boilers at Cellulose Australia Ltd where they ultimately became their prime road contractor.
In the late 1940s Aub foresaw the need to transport fresh produce to city markets becoming a leader of refrigerated transport when acquiring his first of seven refrigerated pantechnicians. In the 50s Aub spent considerable time establishing depots in most capital cities; this won him contracts from the timber mills in the area.
By then his trucks were well-known in all eastern states. His company used mainly International prime-movers, beginning with KB5s to KB11and then moving to the R180 and R190 range followed by the AB, C & D series. The company also owned ACCOs, Atkinsons and Mack prime-movers for specific uses. Being a hands-on company operator, Aub commanded huge respect and admiration among his employees. He could be found at almost anytime actively working side by side with them.
The business was built up by hard work, integrity and client trust. In 1972 Aub Shelton sold controlling interest of his company to a partnership between Softwood Holdings and Scott Corporation; the balance of his shares going to the same two companies in 1982. Business aside, Aubrey enjoyed an active and fulfilling life.
Sadly, Aub Shelton passed away in September 1997 at the age of 79 years.
However, his legacy remains forever as the founder of one of Australia’s largest private transport companies; Kain and Shelton. He is an Aussie trucking icon.