Call Us: (08) 8952 7161
Shopping cart
There are no products in your cart.
Year: 2000


Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2000.

The Adelaide based transport company of Commercial Motor Vehicles (known today as CMV) was initially founded in March 1934 by James' father, the late Sidney Crawford.  By 1939 the company had attained distributorships for Case tractors, Commer, Karrier and Diamond T trucks.

James took over directorship of his father's company in 1968 and soon introduced Toyota, Mitsubishi and Hino, Kenworth and Volvo to their truck range.  Jim had an uncanny ability to read the market and was renown for his ability to do the deal fairly.

Jim, as he preferred to be called, was responsible for the major expansions of the CMV group throughout the 1970s, 80s and 90s.  It was a trait he no doubt gained from his father, and one, he passed onto his sons;  Michael, Paul and David who today oversee a company that spans three states and employs over 400 people.

Jim Crawford was a tireless worker for the community.  The CMV Charitable Trust he started donated hundreds of thousands of dollars to local charities.  He served on the SA Libraries Board for ten years and served for nearly 30 years on local councils.  It is understandable that Jim Crawford, who sold and serviced more Diamond Ts than any other person or dealership in Australia, would continue his involvement with the marque into his retirement.  His immaculately restored collection numbered sixteen by the time of his death in October 1999.  His family have continued the tradition.

Jim Crawford was an enthusiastic supporter of the preservation of road transport heritage playing a major role in developing the National Motor Museum in Adelaide. As a member of the then fledgling Road Transport Historical Society Inc. in Alice Springs, he played a key role with the restoration of Bertha, Kurt Johannsen's huge Diamond T980 roadtrain and self-tracking trailers.

Shell Rimula Wall of Fame

Browse by Surname

All A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 

Year Inducted

Search the Wall of Fame

Visit Us

92 Norris Bell Drive
Alice Springs, NT

View Map

Opening Hours

Mon - Fri: 9am to 3pm
Sat - Sun: 9 am to 3pm
Unless otherwise advised


*Entry Fee Applies

Contact Us


Camping and general inquiries call reception on (08) 8955 5047

Administration please call  (08) 8952 7161