Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2008.
Murray Dyer has always had a family connection in the transport industry. Dyer's Transport Pty Ltd in Renmark, had its beginnings in 1924 when brothers, Richard and Leo Dyer started a carrying business with two trucks, carting wood to Angove's winery and carting fruit and vegetables and a bit of general.
However, the Dyer family had earlier connections with the Renmark district. Captain William Dyer, the father of Richard and Leo, operated the paddle steamer 'Royal' from 1908-14 between Morgan and Renmark with his four sons as crew. Captain Dyer operated a shuttle service with the 'Royal' from Renmark to Paringa during the 1917 flood. Dyers began a transport service to Adelaide in 1928 but this ceased in 1932 when an Act of Parliament gave preference to rail transport. In 1950 the company began operating an interstate service transporting Angove's wine and Moray Park canned fruits to Melbourne and later Sydney. In 1956 the firm became R Dyer and Son with Mr Murray Dyer, a son of Mr Richard Dyer, as manager.
In the early 1960s the company changed its name to Dyers Transport and in 1966 opened a new service bay for eight transport and eight supplementary vehicles. During the early 1970s the company diversified its activities when it purchased Scherer Contractors. It now carries out earth-moving and stone-crushing. Dyers also operate cranes for salvage and forklift units. Interstate transport has ceased. Dyers still do a large amount of transport work between the Riverland and Adelaide.
Today, Murray's sons, Wayne and Michael, are actively employed in the business and love trucking.