Inducted into the Shell Rimula Wall of Fame at ReUnion 2010.
In 1939 Scott and Daphne (nee O'Sullivan) with his brother Sam owned a two truck carrying company at Willunga S.A.
Scott moved to Willunga from Noarlunga with his wife and three children following Sam's enlistment in the Army. Drivers were difficult to find in the war years and fuel for the vehicles was scarce so Scott made his own coke at Yundi for the gas products.
In 1956 the name changed from McDonald Willunga Carrying Company to Southern Transport Pty Ltd. Also during this time plans were made for the manufacture of 3 x 36' decker cattle and sheep crates. These crates were the first to be made in S.A. and were made by Mr. Trotter at Pt. Vincent. During this time Scott and Sam's business managed approximately 50 prime-movers, semis and tray tops.
In 1966 Southern Transport Pty Ltd. loaded the first live sheep export ship from Pt Adelaide bound for the Middle East consigned by Metro Meat Ltd. In the 1970s Southern Transport organised and controlled the loading of al livestock ships from Outer Harbour and Pt Adelaide until their closure in 2008. These ships would hold as many as 120,000 sheep and take 4 days to load. Cattle were also loaded on some ships, up to 700 at a time destined for the Middle East, also dairy cattle were shipped to Asia. Southern Transport carted thousands of sheep and cattle from all over the state to various abattoirs including Lobethal, Noarlunga, Murray Bridge, Tatuara and Stawell. Most of the processed meat was taken by freezer vans from the above to various cold stores throughout Adelaide and suburbs. Tallow transportation was another big industry. Southern Transport loaded all tallow ships leaving the port in Adelaide.
Some of the vehicles used over the years were Mapleleaf Chevrolet, Leyland, Bedford, Volvo, Mack, Kenworth, Ford, Freightliner and a variety of Internationals.
Scott McDonald's family directed the business from 1974 until they decided to close it in June 2008.