Alan (Rossie) Rosswas born into the transport industry with his father William operating his own C36 International. Born in Griffith NSW in 1939 Alan was always destined to follow in his father's footsteps.
He married Margaret in 1960 and was working on the local shire with his brother Kevin (deceased) to raise funds to purchase their first transport in 1965, when they bought the Griffith Amoco fuel depot and started delivering fuel around the region.
Business quickly expanded and Ross Enterprises was formed in 1966 taking on milk deliveries and specialized in rice hull transferring from local mills in custom built trailers and cartage of grain interstate to Melbourne, returning with CUB beer to be hand loaded onto Cooper City Transport for delivery to far west Queensland locations as far north as Mt Isa.
Running a mixed fleet including Dodges, 180 and 190 International, UD Fuso and all mighty 1418 Benz. By the early 1970s the 1418 Mercedes Benz were doing up to 10 round trips between Griffith and Melbourne quick hitching each end.
Alan and wife Margaret stepped aside from Ross Enterprises in 1976 with the purchase of a Potato Farm at Coleambally but couldn't stay away from the trucks very long soon purchasing another 1418 Benz (bit faster this one with a 15 speed overdrive gearbox fitted) to deliver the spuds to market and running general freight up and down the eastern seaboard in the off season. In 1979 Alan and Margaret purchased a wheat growing property around Hillston so moved from Coleambally to Hillston but continued driving interstate.
In 1993 they moved from the property into Hillston township and sold his last truck, started driving casual for local operators until 2005 before retirement from the rigs. Alan and Margaret still live in Hillston. Both sons have followed in Alan and Margaret's footsteps and are also involved in the transport industry.