Alan (Spud) Murphy was born in Deniliquin, New South Wales on the 24thOctober, 1938. He was the second child of Norman and Lilian Murphy.
Norman was the second generation to operate J Murphy & Sons and as his three sons John, Alan and Geoff become young men they all got involved in the business during the 1950s.
Alan first tried his hand as a builder with Kevin Renwick when he completed school and joined the family business in 1958 then he married Kate Quinn in 1960.
The three Murphy boys working under the guidance of their father built the transport business from a Chevrolet and KS5 in the 1950s to three single tray, 36 foot stock crates by the end of the 1960s. The business was predominantly carting livestock, grain and wool with Alan and Geoff working together after John left in 1958.
Based in Napier Street, Deniliquin along with the transport business, the depot was also a fuel depot and produce merchant. Long distance work increased with the growth in semi-trailer stock crates and larger prime movers and the livestock transport grew to become the sole area of business by 1965. Newmarket in Melbourne was a popular destination along with Longreach and Blackall in Queensland and many places across New South Wales. The trucks of choice at the time were V8 Petrol Internationals, Dodges and a 1418 Mercedes.
The green, white and orange colours were first used in the 1960s based on a Queensland firm Buntine Roadways who were predominantly white.
In 1970, to much excitement, the first Kenworth was purchased for $32,800 with a cab, piped bullbar and aluminum chassis. J Murphy & Sons also relocated the same year to a new site in Hardinge Street, Deniliquin. This again was a fuel depot and home to the transport business.
In 1978 Geoff left to operate a local hotel and Alan became the sole proprietor of J Murphy & Sons in 1979 after Norman retired.
During the 1980s and 1990s Alan focused on livestock, wool and grain transport. With up to five trucks in work he had three and four deck trailers and road trains in operation. The first four deck trailer was custom made by Byrne Trailers (Peak Hill).
One of Alan's most memorable jobs was coordinating 17 semi-trailers of sheep for live export to Portland and Adelaide in the late 1990s. The trucks came from all parts of New South Wales with an average load of 440 sheep on each truck.
Alan employed a number of drivers over the years and his wife Kate managed the office including all accounts and payroll.
At the time of his retirement in 2003 Alan had three livestock semi trailers and two tippers working in the local rice industry. After forty five years in the transport business Alan and his wife Kate now enjoy retirement in Deniliquin.
Their son David continues in the transport business under ERH Transport which provides refrigerated freight and logistical services to a variety of industries from primary producers to multinational manufacturers. ERH has three depots in Melbourne, Cobram and Deniliquin (where J Murphy & Son's operated from) with a fleet of Road Trains, B/Doubles and Single trailers. They have also recently developed a custom built 28 Pallet freezer van.